Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Why blog?

I, alas, have joined the modern age and started blogging. I am still not sure if this is a good idea or if this is a symptom of trying to keep up with the Jones'. But today I was thinking about why people blog, I had several different thought and was trying to figure out where I fit in any of my theories.

My first theory is that people that blog are keeping diaries and this new electronic media is a comfortable way for them to keep it. They can share it with those they want to know their feelings and keep it secret from those they don’t.

My second theory is that some people can use this forum to make a statement or vent their feelings about the things happening around them that they feel that they have no control over. They can find people that share their views and will post comments that reflect their point of view. This I think can be helpful in heated political climates or when people are grieving.

My third theory is that too many people have way to much time on their hands and they have nothing better to do.

I also think that there is something extremely voyeuristic in all of this. Will I get caught? Who will read my blog? Who will comment? Will the responses be positive or negative? Will the blog be read by people I know or complete strangers? How far can I push the envelope? What can I say that will shock people? This bit of voyeurism adds a sense of excitement and euphoria that writing in a diary or journal can never fulfill.

So, why am I blogging? I blame peer pressure.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Welcome to the blogosphere Emmanuel!

Rick+ said...

As one of your blogging peers, glad we won you over to the "dark side."

May the Force we with you Padwan.